Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bracket for an Endless Breeze Fan

The Endless Breeze fan is marvelous machine. Since we dry camp a lot, a 12 volt fan is a sensible solution to staying cool. We have fans to cool us in the rear lounge; we bought the Endless Breeze for kitchen use. We never found a good place for it. We were always moving it around and no place was ideal. It’s two primary missions are to exhaust the heat from the stove and range and to blow on whoever is using the laptop at the dinette. The only place to accomplish both missions is hanging from the bin above the rear dinette seat. That is not an ideal location for Dorothy, but it the best we could figure out.

I wanted a bracket that would allow it swivel both fore and aft and up and down. The design in Choula Red was what I wanted but theirs looks built to handle a hurricane. I wanted one more like shown in Eureka. Anywho, this is how it turned out.

I used a single piece of one-inch aluminum stock from Lowe’s and bent it into a U shape. The leg ends reach to the center of the fan box. I tapped 1/4 threads in two scrap aluminum pieces to secure the legs. I epoxied them inside the fan box. I removed the bottom from the inside of the overhead bin and drilled a 1/4 inch hole for threaded rod to support the fan. At that place in the bin there is only the 1/4 finish paneling - not enough strength to hold the fan firmly. So I beefed it up by adding a 6x6 piece of 3/8 plywood.

I also used a small piece of aluminum under the bin to spread the load.

 P1100883

Wing nuts are used to tighten the fan in place and also to allow it to be removed for travel. A beefier bracket might allow it to remain in place during travel, but it’s not a hassle to remove and besides, I prefer it stored and out of the way when we are not using it.

P1100887

P1100888

No comments:

Post a Comment